Myer’s Cocktail – IV Vitamin Infusions
Myers’ cocktail is the generic name given to a composition invented and popularized by late John Myers M.D, a Maryland physician, who used a mixture of nutrients intravenously to treat chronic conditions. Present day cocktail has been modified by Alan Gaby, M.D who uses alternate therapies. Myer’s cocktail was made to boost energy and immunity in people suffering from chronic diseases such as asthma, fibromyalgia, fatigue, migraine, recurrent infections and cardiovascular disorders. It also shows an enhancement in athletic performance.
What is a Myer’s Cocktail
Myer’s cocktail consists of vitamins and minerals which are given intravenously. Though called a cocktail, it is an intravenous infusion. It has been noted that the levels of vitamins reached in the blood were far higher than that could ever be achieved by oral doses.
Secondly, when given intravenously, there was a bypass of the digestive system and hence all conditions such as indigestion, bloating and food intolerance, where food was either not being digested or absorbed properly, received nutrients immediately and directly. Also, it is proposed that chronic conditions including heart failure have a poor gastrointestinal function. Nutrients, therefore are not absorbed as they would normally be. All vitamins and minerals are essential for normal functioning, immunity, growth and repair. A direct infusion of these essential factors floods the cells with essential nutrients, and are thought to reach the mitochondria. There is a boost to the energy release process in mitochondria, thereby giving a chance for healing. Mitochondria are the key sites for energy production and therefore there is a perception of enhanced energy levels.
IV Vitamin Infusions Benefits
Myer’s cocktail IV has been known to produce relief from symptoms, increase energy levels and performance, the betterment of wheezing in asthma and a better immunity in chronic immune suppression. Patients have reported lasting relief.
- Conditions which are listed to have benefitted from Myer’s cocktail IV are-
- Chronic infections- relief in intensity, enhanced energy noted
- Inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis – less pain observed
- Chronic fatigue syndrome – better energy levels perceived
- Chronic immune suppression – escape from seasonal infections noted
- Fibromyalgia- significant relief from pain, enhanced energy levels perceived
- Chronic asthma- relief from wheezing episodes, decreased the frequency of episodes.
- Multiple sclerosis
- Chronic allergy conditions
- Ulcerative conditions
- Chronic sinusitis
- Acute muscle spasm
- Congestive heart failure
The diseased body has the following problems
- Nutrients are not well absorbed
- Nutrients are used up faster
- Healing is delayed due to lack of supporting nutrients
- Mitochondria requires these nutrients, which also work as coenzymes in energy production, and thus energy levels are low.
IV Vitamin Infusions solves all these problems. Myer’s cocktail contains many vitamins and amino acids such as taurine and glutathione.
Generally, the cocktail is administered intravenously 1-2 times a week. And can be repeated as needed. Some patients take every month, and some prefer to come whenever they feel low on energy.
Role of IV Infused Vitamins
Vitamin B complex: these are vital for proper functioning of heart, nervous system, immunity, growth, and healing.
Vitamin C: is an anti- oxidant and plays an important role in healing. It helps our body fight against viral infections, cold, and flu. It fights oxidative stress generated due to exposure to solar radiation, smog, pesticides and the unhealthy food that we eat.
Glutathione and Taurine: are amino acids, which play an important role in immunity and healing. Glutathione supplementation has shown to speed up recovery even from acute and critical conditions.
IV Vitamin Infusion Procedure
A small catheter is introduced into a peripheral vein, and the infusion is given slowly over 20-30 minutes.
Often given 1-2 times a week initially, frequency comes down slowly as the requirement comes down.
Intravenous administration of magnesium produces a small period, where blood levels are high, allowing the cells to take up faster. The improvement appears to be cumulative, and the patients feel better and healthier after 4-5 infusions. After that the injections are given with larger intervals of time. Some patients exhibit betterment soon after the first infusion. Others need about 4 infusions. Over a period, as the patient gets progressively better, infusions may no longer be required.
Myer’s Cocktail Ingredients
IV Vitamin Infusions contain:
- Vitamin B complex- including thiamine, vitamin B6, vitamin B12.
- Vitamin C
- Calcium gluconate
- Magnesium chloride
- Modifications contain some amino acids
- Folic acid is not added as it causes precipitation of ingredients.
IV Vitamin Infusion Side Effects
Therapy using Myer’s cocktail is very safe and requires only half an hour for infusion. Serious side effects have never been reported. The few side effects observed are
- Stinging sensation at the catheter site
- Flushing and a feeling of warmth all over the body- due to niacin
- Lowering of blood pressure due to magnesium
- Vitamin taste in the oral cavity within minutes of infusion